Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Jazz Games!!

My boyfriend, Chris, has season tickets to the Utah Jazz and has for a couple years now. Last week we got some extra tickets and were able to take 'Baby Kate' to the game. As we got settled into our seats, I soon realized we had about 10 roudy 15 year old boys in front of us. I thought, 'Oh boy, I hope that these guys aren't too crazy and too distracting to enjoy the game.' Well, they were teasing and joking and moving around in their seats and fighting over the freebes that get thrown into the crowds. Everytime something was about to be hurled in our direction, little Kate would stand with her hands up to catch them. Unfortunately nothing came too close....until...at the end of the game a wadded up Jazz t-shirt comes flying towards her and lands right in our row in front of the empty seats next to her. As soon as her tiny hands went to grab it, about 6 of the young men dove for it and practically took her out. I was thinking - 'dang, they should have just let the little girl have it!' I was a little bothered. Katherine sat down after her defeat and said in her cute voice, 'whoa, that was scary.' At this point the boys were still fighting and wrestling over the shirt. Once the shirt had been won by one the the boys, they untied it, looked at it, passed it around and basked in their victory. A few moments later we noticed a couple of them looking back at us and talking. They kept looking and talking until it was passed from one boy to the next boy to the next boy till it was handed to Katherine. It was soooo sweet I wanted to cry. I said 'Oh Katherine, those boys gave you the shirt! That is sooo sweet!' I mouthed to them, 'Thank you so much!' Katherine just smiled and gave them them thumbs up. Chris told me later that he could hear the one boy telling his buddy, 'C'mon, just give it to the little girl...just give it to her.' I was so happy to see that that young dude did the right thing and did a good deed. Katherine was so excited. She said she was going to wear it to bed that night. It was a little treasure, in my mind and I think in Kate's mind too.

5 comments:

Ada's Girl said...

Love that story. I can just see her sweet face resigned to the fact that the rowdy boys got their way. I love even more that you and Chris take the kids to special events. It's making memories. They'll love you forever.

katherine said...

It is a great treasure!!!! It was really scary when they almost took me down! But I am glad they did a good deed. Sorry I did not right about this on my blog!
Love,
Katherine

Carrie said...

What a great story! Who would have thought that those wild boys fighting over the shirt would end up doing a good deed! Heart-warming.

Claudia said...

Love that story too! Baby Kate indeed wore that big 'ole shirt to bed that night and many nights since then.

You two are so sweet to include my kiddies in your adventures. They love you and "that guy" named Chris. "He's so chill", as Sarah would say.

Keep the stories coming. You are a very good writer.

Brett Nielson said...

You rock Lindsay! Thanks for being so nice to my kids!